It has taken too long to write this second entry. It has not taken too much time; I only left Canada 6 days ago. Too many events, foreign and unexpected, have occurred that I can recount them all. Bits and pieces will have to do.
I got into my first car accident on the way to the aiport. It wasn’t my fault I swear. It was a very Canadian crash. One guys plow slide on snow, 36 apologies were made and it was all smiles and handshakes when we left. With all the travel concerns, the most danger came 30 m from home.
All I’ll say about the travel to Botswana is that is you do talk to many more people when flying solo. Johannesburg sounds scary to live in.
The city of Gaborone is much more developed than I would have thought. Also the average white person is likely a volunteer. Batswanan reaction to us is entertaining. There is consistent staring and sometimes pointing occurring. People are very friendly though. Part of it can be attributed to a token white guy syndrome.
Mokolodi has a beautiful location. It is located in the valley of several mountains (by name) including Magic Mountain, which I will hike soon. As part of the integration, there was a game drive, on which we saw impala, warthog, zebra, giraffe, ostrich and many birds which were surprisingly interesting.
Sounds like things are going normally!! Glad to hear you've seen some wildlife and had some interaction with the locals too!
ReplyDeletegood luck with everything!
Heather