
Arriving late at the show, the mayhem began for the ladies. They had many fittings to do very quickly and needed make-up as well. Two boys and I had much a simpler preparation. Who cares about the boys though?
The girls had dresses, bathing suits, some unique clothing and some made from recycled materials. They had at least 6 changes. The make-up took a very long time to do but was striking on all the models. By 9:30 we all shuffled backstage, which was a sheltered area behind the outdoor venue.
They expected to have 300 people at the show. (At 80 pula per ticket, this would be a very good haul.) I would have estimated 100-150, but I was not focused on the audience.
We were able to watch the runway from a projector screen. The production of it all, it really was well put together. Talking to friends after the show, it seemed very well done and ran smoothly. This is very funny knowing all the set backs and mistakes which occurred.
I walked the first time, maintaining a swagger and a non-smile. I received a great, cheering reaction. I was the first male and the only lekogwa in the show. At the end of the run way, I had two poses. I chose a person in the crowd and looked straight at them for each pose. After remembering how to turn around, I walked off stage. No problem. One small hitch, my fly was open the whole time.
When it came time for the designer to come up. I walked on one side and a girl named Cindy on the other. This designer was very young, sweet and pretty. She tripped on the step up and her hat fell off. Cindy was first to the hat and I only smiled. We all held hands and continued down the runway. I was intending (had been instructed by Cindy) to kiss the designer on the cheek. After the fall, I didn’t want to give her any other surprises.
After many more costume changes (I’m very happy guys did not do swimwear), we came for the finale.
Oh pictures are worth a thousand words. I should have many up soon.
The after party was all the remained. The venue was a club called Fashion Lounge. Over half an hour out of town, it is one of two main clubs in the city. There was a bus arranged to take us all there, but it never showed.
So we all piled into the back of a truck. We were rowdy and very visible. After 20 minutes of driving we pulled into a gas station. The police rolled up and asked the driver for a license which he did not have. After a quick check in the car, nobody had a license. That is, expect for one boy with an Ontario’s drivers license.
Everyone in the car thought it would be a perfect solution for me to drive. I thought it was hilarious. So I explained that there was no way I was driving the truck: packed with people, having had some drinks, on the left side of the road (which I have never driven), with the police on standby
I know most gung-ho young men would have seen it as a great opportunity to drive, they’ve told me. But not me, I still have never driven drunk. The license-lite driver, who was a responsible male model, continued driving after all. We arrived safely and ticket free at the club.
The rest is nightlife. The club in a mall and was almost directly beside the salon we were at earlier. I can reached directly for any further comment.
No comments:
Post a Comment