I make one main lifestyle choice each day. I live directly beside a building which is “volunteer’s accommodation”. But I am the only volunteer and do not live there. The accommodation is filled, no packed, with Batswanan park workers and Zimbabwean builders. It is noisy and a bit busy all morning and night.
I have my own wooden hut with a metal roof and therefore can control my privacy. The lifestyle choice I make is whether to spend my time off alone in the hut or go to the common room. Most people have been friendly so far, the level of English varies greatly. (My only setswana is greetings).
I only really go to the other building when I need to wash or use the washroom; never to watch the TV or simply hang around. It becomes a matter of comfort; not just of my own as I am entering the area where these people live.
The kitchen is full of dirty dishes, strong smells and flies. For this reason and my own comfort I bought a hot plate, frying pan, pot and some cleaning supplies (~$40 CDN or 300 pula). It leads to further separation but it's a big relief to my everyday life. Money can provide comforts. I can cook simple meals while watching my laptop. I’m spoiled right? It must seem that way.
This is what I have done to settle in. I still have plenty of social interaction in my day however I’m the only one spends his lunch tucked away writing a blog.
P.S. There is a horse at the education center that I can not get rid off. He’s wise to my yelling and clapping and inability to move him. He clearly thinks our communal area is his stable. It probably doesn’t help that when he poops I clean it up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm glad you got your internet working somehow. Good luck with the horse!
ReplyDeleteFrom your #1 follower,
Nora
Yo Dave, I just found your blog so I'm catching up but as far as I can tell, your kitchen sounds like Bellairs... ;-)
ReplyDelete